What makes a safe, yet effective sunscreen? I ask myself this question frequently. There is a lot to consider, from vegan and mineral based sun lotions to chemical and paraben free sunscreens. I have also always remembered since childhood that zinc oxide was one of the most effective sun protection products on the market at preventing sun damage. Tons to think about!!
The sun's rays have become more and more intense and dangerous, making it essential to apply sunscreen on your skin daily. Every year, many people suffer from skin cancer and incur damages brought about by too much sun exposure. With so many brands of sunscreen products to choose from, it can be quite difficult to choose which one to purchase.
After some time and research, take a look at our Top 10 Sunscreen Picks for Summer 2022!
Top 10 Sunscreen Options for 2022
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen ($27, 3.4 fl oz) - Formulated with non-nano zinc and California Poppy, this physical SPF 30 formulation provides an effective shield from UVA and UVB, while being gentle and pleasant feeling on the skin. Smooth, nourishing formula blends evenly onto skin with limited white residue. Formulated with non-nano zinc oxide, a physical, mineral sun protection technology that bounces the sun’s rays away from the skin.
- Vacation Classic Spray SPF 30 ($20, 6 fl oz) - A sunscreen spray that utilizes “Non-Aerosol” and “Continuous-Spray” technology to enable the user to spray upside down, sideways, and at any angle for effortless application that doesn’t harm the environment. Not a fan of the scent of the traditional titanium-zinc sunscreen? Vacation offers ample sun protection with a tropical scent so amazing that the brand bottled it, and made it into a perfume. The skin-hydrating, SPF 30 formulation remains water resistant up to 80 minutes. Its ingredients won't harm coral reefs. It's also vegan!
- Supergoop Play Everyday SPF 50 ($32, 5.5 fl oz) - Formulated for all skin types, water resistance, and is a ray-absorbing chemical sunscreen, albeit one made without two ingredients usually associated with chemical sunscreens, oxybenzone and octinoxate. The greaseless formula absorbs into and hydrates the skin.
- Arbonne Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30 ($38, 5 fl oz) - It’s formulated with the latest technological advancement of Zinc Oxide to help prevent against UVA (the sun’s skin aging rays) and UVB (the sun’s burning rays), so you can enjoy your time under the sun (or underwater!). Plus, it doesn’t include chemical UV filters. For body and face without the chalky white cast! Plus, Green Tea and Aloe Vera soothe with hydration, so your skin feels as good as it looks!
- Tula Protect & Glow Sunscreen SPF 30 ($36, 3.38 fl oz) - A non-comedogenic formula with skincare-first ingredients like probiotic extracts, pineapple & papaya, this year-round essential won’t clog pores or leave a white cast. Encapsulated technology breaks into a beautiful, non-greasy gel texture upon application & leaves a gorgeous glow that wears well under makeup or on its own.
- Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen SPF 30 ($18, 5 fl oz) - This lotion is rated one of the top mineral sunscreens you can buy on the market right not. Blue Lizard is chemical and fragrance free and includes no commonly known irritants. Plus, the bottle turns blue in harmful UV light to remind you to apply. That's Awesome! Blue Lizard is great for athletes who sweat out in the sun for hours.
- Sun Bum SPF Original SPF 30 ($16, 6 fl oz) - This spray-on sunscreen from Sun Bum is reef safe and comes in a variety of SPF levels, ranging from SPF 15 (though dermatologists recommend a minimum SPF level of 30) to SPF 70. In addition to being protective, it’s moisturizing and contains nourishing vitamin E, which has anti-inflammatory, skin-soothing properties.
- EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 ($39, 1.7 fl oz) - EltaMD's UV Clear sunscreen is one of the most highly rated mineral-based sunscreens on Amazon -- and the top-selling facial sunscreen overall. The zinc oxide, broad-spectrum sunscreen offers extra gentle protection for sensitive, oily or acne-prone skin. Individuals using this sunscreen rave that it doesn't clog their pores, and because of the niacinamide, it helps correct any hyperpigmentation from acne scars or sun damage. This is promoted as a face and neck sunscreen, but you can use it all over, making it ideal for those dealing with body acne, too.
- Sunforgettable Total Protection Brush-On Suncreen SPF 50 ($69) - An all-powerful, all-mineral skin shield powered by EnviroScreen Technology that provides total protection in one convenient, on-the-go application. This 100% non-chemical brush-on sunscreen is designed to be worn alone or over your makeup.
- Sunbetter Tone Smart SPF 68 Compact 12 grams ($65) - High level of sun protection in a tone-adapting, silky smooth compact that provides a hint of blendable color. Broad spectrum sunscreen acts as a primer under makeup and may be layered for additional coverage. Helps prevent sunburn if used as directed with other sun protection measures to decrease the risk of skin cancer and early skin aging caused by the sun.
*Retail Prices Listed Above. Discounts Available.
It is always important to do your own research and consider the skin type of yourself and your family before choosing a sunscreen brand.
(Remember to inspect your boat lines and dock ties and replace as needed. Boat lines and dock ties weather and weaken over time.)